Saturday, March 25, 2017

Week Six and LPSC Conference!

Last week we had trouble with the QGIS software saving and uploading the maps so we decided it would be best to just use photoshop. But this week I was able to actually map! I used the processed mafic minerals map and NiS map. I made a new layer in photoshop and used the polygon selection tool and the paint bucket tool to map the areas of interest. On the mafic mineral map I mapped each of the darkest areas of red, blue, and green. On the NiS map I mapped the lightest and darkest areas. Once I completed this I layered both maps on top of each other and mapped the areas where the mafic minerals and nickel sulfides overlapped. The reason for this is that mafic minerals alone are not strong indicators of PGMs so areas that have mafic minerals and NiS are more likely to indicate PGMs.

On Thursday I also went to the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference! I was part of the poster session. This means I stood by my poster while scientists that were interested in my research asked me questions. Explaining my project to so many people and answering their questions really helped me understand it more and will help me in my other presentations. I was able to meet so many interesting people and I am so grateful I was able to go! Here is what my poster looked like!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! So, what have you found out about how much PGMs appear to be on Vesta? Is there like an area percentage? Is it more or less than you were expecting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on those calculations now. Once I have it completed I will update it in my blog!

      Delete
  2. I have been meaning to ask you about the conference all week! Did you see other projects that were of particular interest or inspiring to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all very interesting. Some of the research was a little to complicated for me to fully understand. But I saw a few posters that incorporated the environment. I thought that was inspiring because environmental engineering is my intended major, so seeing that how these fields are connected was really cool.

      Delete