Friday, February 24, 2017

Week Three

I got to look at a new map this week! This week I focused on understanding a new map of Vesta. This map had all of the geological areas already mapped by the Vesta team. This map will be helpful once I make my PGM marker mineral map because it will show what geological feature each mineral is on. For example, this might be something like there are some PGM marker minerals on a group of craters. This will also show what geological areas have the most PGM marker minerals. The PGM marker minerals I will be looking for include: sulfides, chromite, ultramafic minerals, unite, and Ni-Cu.


I organized all of the Vesta teams layers so they were easier for me to use. When these layers were made the map was split into sections and different people mapped each section. Because of this each section used different colors for different features. So I went through and made every feature that was the same one color so it was easier to tell where each feature is. Here is a picture of what their geological features look like. The yellow areas are craters, the blue areas are surface features, the green areas are location features, the geo contacts are maroon, the linear features are navy, and the purple is geo units.

1 comment: