Friday, February 17, 2017

Week Two

This week I continued to work in the QGIS software. I am still using a map of the surface of Vesta. I made some new layers on the map for the light and dark areas using polygons. Also, I added a layer for irregular features. Irregular features are just places where craters are a different color or places where there is a unique shape and color. Once I made these layers, I used the field calculator tool to find the area, perimeter and center of the light, dark, and irregular features. After I did this is was easy to find the basic statistics of each layer. These statistics came out to be really large numbers. At first this seemed wrong but upon closer examination realized the data was in centimeters. I also researched what each geometry tool is in the field calculator so when I use it again I will know what each tool means. For example, the tool xat or yat retrieves the x or y coordinate for the selected feature.

This picture shows the light, dark and irregular features on Vesta. The light areas are in blue and the dark areas are in red. I ignored the top of the map and the very bottom because there was no way to tell if the poles are light or dark. The irregular features are in green.


4 comments:

  1. How does this information help you determine whether vesta can be mined?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't, but it will help me when I actually start mapping the marker minerals on Vesta because I will understand how to efficiently use the software.

      Delete
  2. Did the stats capstone help with using/understanding this technology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been able to understand the terms used and what they are used to find.

      Delete