Friday, February 10, 2017

Week One

This week I was able to further learn how to use the QGIS software. I have been practicing using some of the mapping tools with a map of Vesta. This is just a map of Vesta craters and lines and I will not be using this for the mineral mapping but as a template. I outlined all of the large craters on the map with the polygon tool. I also tried to map lines but they did not save and for times sake we needed to move on. One of the important tools in QGIS is the statistical analysis it does. These last few days I have been learning how to use basic statistics in QGIS. More specifically, the geoprocessing tools. I used the convex Hull(s) tool and selected an area of craters to determine what the smallest amount of area is with the selected craters. I used the intersect tool to figure out where craters overlap. This will be helpful in determining what minerals are overlaid. After learning more about how QGIS works I feel more confident and I understand now how to use it. The mineral maps will be easier to use now because I am familiar with the software.

Also this week I got confirmation my abstract was selected for the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. This means I will get to present my findings on a poster at LPSC, one of the biggest space conferences!

9 comments:

  1. You're going to do great at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Congrats on the abstract!! Are you finding the QGIS software interesting to work with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am definitely getting used to using the software. Sometimes it is easy to figure out and other times I have to ask Dr. Milazzo for help. But other than that I like using it.

      Delete
  3. Images would be helpful, so we can see what you are up to. Can you include some screen shots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea, I will be sure to include some in my next posts!

      Delete